Thank you to all who entered this year’s 1st Round of the Buckinghamshire Young Musician of the Year Competition 2020. It is fantastic to see how much young musical talent there is throughout Buckinghamshire and it has been an incredibly difficult decision deciding who to put through to the final. We have however come to a decision.
Buckinghamshire Young Musician of the Year Competition 2020 Finalists
(in alphabetical order)
Well done to all and we are looking forward to hearing you in the final.
Buckinghamshire Music Trust is looking for young performers from across the county to compete for the title of Buckinghamshire Young Musician of the Year 2020.
This year we are holding the competition remotely across two rounds.
1st Prize - £300, title of Buckinghamshire Young Musician of the Year 2020 and a solo performance opportunity with one of our county ensembles next year.
Runner up - £100
A highlight reel of the finalists and the subsequent results of the competition will be shared with everyone at our BMT Summer Festival 2020 on Saturday 18th July.
Open to all students aged 18 or under on 31st August 2020
Open to any student who can tick at least one of the following criteria:
- A resident of Buckinghamshire
- Attends a school in Buckinghamshire
- Attends a Music Centre in Buckinghamshire
All instruments and genres welcome.
How to Enter
- If you would like to enter the 1st round, please fill in the application form below and upload a recording of yourself performing an unaccompanied piece no more than 6 minutes in length by the 29th June 2020.
- Please upload a copy of the sheet music.
- Please clearly label all your files with YMOTY, followed by your name and the title of the music, e.g. YMOTY_Joe Bloggs_Dancing Queen.mp4
- The piece you choose can originally have an accompaniment but please perform it without accompaniment, omitting large gaps in the music due to no solo part.
- For this round you can submit either an audio or video performance.
A panel comprising of BMT staff will select a group of finalists from the first round and we will inform you if you have progressed to the final by the 2nd July 2020. If you get through to the final –
- Please submit two contrasting unaccompanied pieces in two separate video files by the 12th July 2020. The pieces you choose can originally have an accompaniment but please perform them without accompaniment, omitting large gaps in the music due to no solo part.
- Please upload copies of the sheet music for both pieces being performed
- Please clearly label all your files with your name and the title of the music.
- You will be allowed to use different instruments from the same family of instruments (e.g. alto and tenor sax, electric guitar and acoustic guitar, B flat trumpet and Piccolo trumpet) but not two completely different instruments.
- For the final we will only accept video recordings.
- You are allowed to use the same piece of music submitted in the first round including the same video performance for one of the pieces.
- The final will be adjudicated by a guest judge from outside BMT.
Please have a look at the video below for guidelines on how to video yourself.
- The recording of the piece(s) of music performed must be unedited.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- The quality of the technology used to create your audio or video recordings will not be taken into consideration.
- Our county ensembles include the Buckinghamshire County Youth Orchestra, Buckinghamshire Youth Wind Ensemble and Voice Bucks County Youth Choir.
- We would like to thank the Friends of our music centres in Amersham, Aylesbury and High Wycombe for donating the prize money.