Services for Schools
Buckinghamshire Music Trust Provision for 2019/20
This page gives you everything you need to be able to access BMT provision for your school, your children and your parents.
Our activities include:
- Instrumental teaching in all instruments with parents billed directly to minimise school administration – you just agree a timetable and provide a room
- Individual, small group and large group lessons for all abilities
- Whole Class Practical Musicianship sessions for KS1 and KS2, for all schools including Special Schools and PRUs – book now for discounted rates
- Music Centre Groups and Ensembles of all types at all levels – about 30 different ones in each centre in Aylesbury, Amersham and High Wycombe
- County groups for advanced players and singers – Youth Orchestra, Youth Wind Ensemble and Youth Choir
- Instrument hire for all instruments (subject to availability)
- Choir, band and group leaders for enrichment activities in your school
- Music Improvement Consultancy to support your broad and balanced curriculum and resource development; to help train your teachers; to support your Artsmark application; to develop your ‘singing school’; for exam support and moderation and more
- Large scale performance activities for schools and children including Echoes at the Royal Albert Hall, Battle of the Bands at Wycombe Swan, Energize at The Waterside and more
- School-based and Music Centre workshops and opportunities with a range of external partners
The 2019/20 fees below give more detail about all bookable provision. Subsidies are available for FSM/PP pupils and siblings.
Make sure your Music Co-ordinator or Head of Music keeps in touch with our Area Leaders so that we contact you with new opportunities across the coming year.
Whole Class Practical Musicianship (WCPM) with instruments
The National Plan for Music identifies this as a core offer that all schools should look to implement as part of their broad and balanced curriculum. The new OfSTED framework will strengthen the requirement for excellent music provision for schools to be outstanding.
BMT provision …
- Direct delivery of 33 lessons per year with 2 assembly/concert performances
- Develops musical skills and understanding through practical learning of instrumental skills, rhythm work, singing and basic theory
- Develops key transferable skills that improve outcomes across the curriculum
- Enriches and extends your KS1, KS2 or KS3 (Year 7 only) curriculum
- Leads pupils into instrumental learning – especially where schools support Large Group teaching (4 – 6 pupils) in the follow-on year
How does WCPM fit with the Music National Curriculum?
- It delivers some areas of the Programme of Study but not all!
- It also adds more to your NC provision, enriching your curriculum
- It delivers the parts that non-specialist teachers find most challenging
- It allows classroom teachers to be trained to deliver their part of the curriculum with confidence and excellence – through working alongside our teachers and/or procuring our combined CPD offer
Our provision is subsidised as WCPM is the first core priority in the National Plan for Music:
- If you don’t have this provision, contact us now to arrange it.
- See the Fees listed below for special offers.
- If you already have WCPM delivered by your own specialist or another provider and you’re happy with it, ask them whether they would like to deliver on a BMT commissioned basis so that your school can access the subsidised rate for the same provision
Whole Class Practical Musicianship
- Available for KS1 and KS2 – wide range of instrumental combinations available through discussion with Area Leaders
- Programme includes rhythm, theory and singing work to develop early musicianship and give children a vibrant and exciting musical experience that will encourage them to do more
- Schools are encouraged to support Large Group lessons (see over) as a follow-on provision in their school
- Fees include the use of a set of instruments where required and are for 33 sessions per year
|WCPM standard rate||£380 per class per term|
|3 or more classes in same school||£350 per class per term|
|Full year provision firmly ordered by 23rdMay 2019||£330 per class per term|
Combined WCPM/Workshop and Training packages
- Designed to support and train your teachers to enhance their curriculum delivery
- Fee includes a planning session with an Area Leader to ensure that the structure and focus meet your individual school needs
- 11 sessions of WCPM/Workshop + 3 hours CPD costs £750
Choir, Band and Ensemble leaders
- For all types of choir or group in your school, we will match the right teacher with your needs
- This costs £44 per hour and may need to include some time for planning and preparation
Music Improvement Consultancy
- BMT has a senior team with a wide range of experience and expertise in schools and the wider sector
- We will plan a support package with you to support your development needs
- Possible areas of focus might be:
- Curriculum review and development (KS1 – 5)
- Building a Singing school
- Music for EYFS
- Resources and support for non-specialist teachers
- Whole staff CPD – practical and engaging
- Artsmark support and guidance
- KS4/5 exam moderation and guidance
- £600 per day that can be divided into half days / twilight sessions
- 5-day package available for£2500
Instrumental Teaching (School Billing)
- Teacher time is charged at £42 per hour
- This can be for individual, small group teaching and choir/ensemble leading
- Choir/ensemble leadership will incur an additional hour per term for planning and preparation and can normally only be booked where a teacher is already visiting that school to deliver lessons
Instrumental teaching – available on all instruments subject to availability
- 33 lessons per academic year and all fees are payable per term in advance
- Outstanding fees at the end of a term may result in withdrawal of tuition
- Parents are billed directly whether lessons are in music centres or schools, except where a school has agreed to subsidise pupils using pupil premium.
|Individual lessons||Group lessons|
|Length||Tuition only rate||Music Centre members discounted rate||All group lessons are 30 minutes|
|20 minutes||£156||£130||Small Group||£106|
|30 minutes||£236||£200||Large Group||£76|
- Small Group is for 2/3 pupils – up to Grade 2
- Large Group is for 4 – 6 pupils – up to Grade 1 and is intended to follow on from WCPM for those pupils who want to continue learning or start learning an instrument
- Longer lessons are available for senior students – enquire at email@example.com
- Individual lessons have discounted rates for Music Centre members to recognise the value of playing in ensembles to the development of instrumental skills. The discounted rate shown above is for lessons and does not include the Music Centre membership – this remains at £80.
Music Centre membership £80 per term
- All instruments from our stock (subject to availability) can be hired at a cost of £25 per term.
- Loans are available to all young musicians in Buckinghamshire, but priority is given to BMT Music Centre members.
Subsidies to promote opportunity for all children
- Subsidies can be applied to all fees listed above
|Students eligible for Free School Meals||50% reduction|
|Siblings||2nd child||15% reduction|
|3rd child||30% reduction|
|Each subsequent child||50% reduction|
- BMT encourages schools to support families eligible for FSM by subsidizing the remaining 50% of lessons fees using Pupil Premium
- Other exceptional subsidies may be applied in discussion with the Director
- Employees of BMT and BMEH partnership organisations qualify for a 15% subsidy on all fees