Instrumental and Vocal Tuition:
We provide high quality instrumental and vocal lessons for all young people in your child’s school or nearest Music Centre.
What Can I Learn?
Voice Piano and Keyboard Strings
Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass
Recorder, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon
Trumpet/Cornet, French Horn, Baritone, Euphonium, Tenor Horn, Trombone, Tuba
Tuned and Untuned Orchestra Percussion; Drum Kit; Samba*; Steel Pans*
Classical, Acoustic, Electric, Bass
Theory and Aural
*These instruments are available to learn as part of an ensemble through Music Centre membership.
If you already play a musical instrument, then please visit our Music Centre page for more information on the benefits of performing with others.
How Can I Learn?
We provide lessons in schools and our music centres.
We offer three main types of lesson, ranging from 20 – 45 minutes in length
We aim to deliver 33 lessons per year, split evenly depending on the length of the term
Group lessons are available where there are sufficient numbers of children of the same level of ability in the same School or Music Centre.
|Lesson Type||Availability||Recommended For|
|Individual Lessons||Schools and Music Centre||Beginners to Advanced|
|Small group lessons(2-3 students)||Schools and Music Centre||Beginner to grade 2 standard|
|Group lessons (4-6 students)||Music Centre and some schools||Beginners and those progressing from Whole Class Practical Musicianship|
Who Will Teach Me?
Our tutors are all highly qualified professional musicians who:
– plan their lessons to ensure you make good progress.
– attend regular training through the Music Service.
– provide you with practice notes and updates on progress each week through the Purple Practice Diary.
– provide you with feedback through our two annual Parents Consultation meetings.
– prepare you for practical exams where appropriate.
– will recommend additional ensembles, workshops and concerts for you to participate in.
– are fully DBS checked.
Can I Do Exams?
Our tutors help you to choose the right music for you to be working on to make sure you can make good progress. This can include preparing you for practical exams with ABRSM, Trinity, Rockschool and the London College of Music. They can also help you to prepare for your GCSE, BTEC and A-Level performance exams if this is appropriate.
Our Music Centres are registered as exam centres. You can find the latest information regarding exams including application forms here.
Can I Hire An Instrument?
How Much Does It Cost?
Instrumental teaching (Parent Billing)
• 33 lessons per academic year
• All fees are payable per term
|Individual lessons||20 minute||30 minute||40 minute|
• Small group is for 2/3 pupils – up to Grade 2
• Group is for 4 – 6 pupils – up to Grade 1
• Where a Group is in the Music Centre, this can be a ‘membership’ ensemble
• This provision is designed for beginners and for those following on from WCPM.
All teaching (School Billing)
• Whole Class Practical Musicianship (WCPM) is charged at £330 per term per class for 33 sessions in a year
• All teacher hours purchased by schools from BMT billed at £42 per hour
• This includes instrumental / ensemble / choir as well as instrumental / vocal lessons.
We offer a range of subsidies, including sibling discounts. Please see our fees for more information.
- Membership gives access to as many centre ensembles as a student wishes to join
- Membership £80 per term
- Theory extra course £50 per 10 weeks
- 1 year fixed term hire renewable on request
- Hire is based on availability of instruments and is not guaranteed
- All instruments £25 per term
Term Dates & Timetables
How Do I Apply?
Complete the online application here. We will then contact you to organise your tuition.
If your school is a school billing school, you should apply directly to them.